Hero Image

Family lawyers and mortgage brokers specialising in dividing & protecting your assets - before and after separation.

Limited to financial and mortgage matters

What We Do

Consent Orders
From $1,100

An affordable court-approved document that makes the division of your assets legally binding. It’s the most popular way of splitting finances after separation.

Mortgage Broker

A registered mortgage broker can assist you in refinancing your mortgage, so you can transfer the title to the house into your name.

Negotiate With Your Former Partner
From $200 p/week

Can’t reach an agreement with your former partner? A family lawyer can negotiate on your behalf about splitting your assets and debts.

Binding Financial Agreement

An out-of-court-agreement about dividing your assets and debts. You can create this either before (eg a prenup) or after separation.

MKI Legal has been featured by these publications


How We Can Help

If You’ve Separated

We are a family law firm specialising in assisting couples to divide their assets and debts when they separate. We do this in a number of ways…

If you and your former partner are able to reach an agreement on how to split your assets and debts, we can prepare either consent orders or a binding financial agreement to make your agreement legally binding. If you don’t do this, it won’t be legally binding which means that your partner can change their mind and come back for more later on.

If you and your former partner cannot agree on how to split your finances, we can negotiate on your behalf. We do this by writing to your partner directly, exchanging the necessary financial documents (to verify how much they have) and making offers on your behalf.

As a last resort, if you still cannot reach an agreement (or your partner is not engaging in the process), we can start Family Court proceedings on your behalf. Just because court proceedings start, does not mean your case will go all the way to trial. The vast majority of cases (over 95%) are settled before the trial stage, so this ends up costing less than many think.

Mortgage Brokers

We’re also registered mortgage brokers, so we can help you get the right loan to refinance the mortgage and have the title to the house transferred to your name. This is usually done in conjunction with either consent orders or a binding financial agreement.

Still In A Relationship

If you are still in a relationship (or about to enter a new one), we can help protect your assets if you separate in the future. We do this through a binding financial agreement before separation (eg a prenup).

Let us contact you for a free discussion

Dividing The House

For many people, the family home is their most important and valuable asset. It is often the first thing that couples who have separated talk about. If you’re separating, you’ll need to make a decision on whether you or your partner will keep the family home, or whether you sell it and split the sale proceeds.

Refinancing & Keeping the House

Many people, when separating, prefer to keep the house instead of selling it.

If you own your home jointly with your partner, then the process typically involves refinancing: transferring the mortgage and title from joint names to one person's name.

Before deciding to keep the house, it's essential to evaluate whether you can afford the mortgage payments on your own. It's advisable to consult with our mortgage brokers (no cost to you), who can guide you through the refinancing process, assess your borrowing capacity, and help obtain pre-approval from lenders.

You will need to get the proper legal documentation done as well, which is either consent orders or a binding financial agreement to legally formalise everything (including the transfer of the house). Our family lawyers can help you with that. These legal documents ensure the agreement to split your finances is legally binding, and are required by the banks when refinancing.

At MK Legal, clients using our free mortgage broker service can get up to a 30% discount on consent orders. Get everything done in one place.

Sell The House

When separating, another option for dealing with the house is to sell it to an independent buyer. This process involves putting the house on the market through a real estate agent.

There are two primary options to sell the house: a private sale or an auction.

A private sale involves selling the house on the open market through an agent, with agreed-upon conditions like the duration on the market, minimum selling price, and steps if the house doesn't sell. This method suits those without immediate time pressures.

An auction, on the other hand, is preferable for a quicker sale. It involves setting a reserve price, the lowest acceptable selling price, which the real estate agent can help determine.

It’s important that you agree on how you will divide the sale proceeds once sold, who will pay the mortgage in the meantime and other procedural steps involved in selling. All this should be formalised in legal documents called consent orders or a binding financial agreement.

A Combination

A combination can also be agreed upon.

For example, one person may be given certain period to refinance, and if the refinancing falls through, the house is sold.

Equity In The House

If you or your partner own real estate, you need to understand equity. Equity is the difference between the current value of the house and the current outstanding mortgage. It is basically the amount of money you would get if you sold your house and paid off the mortgage (less sales fees etc).

Current Property Value



Outstanding Mortgage



Property Equity



How Equity Impacts Refinancing?

Equity is an important consideration when you're going through the refinancing process following a separation (eg you wish to transfer both the title and the mortgage into your sole name).

The amount of equity in the house impacts a person's ability to borrow in the following ways:
  • The more equity you have in the property, the easier it is to borrow and the better rate you can get from the bank.
  • If you have less than 80% equity in the property (e.g. house value divided by the mortgage amount), then the bank may require you to obtain lender's mortgage insurance. This is insurance which covers the bank in case of a default. There is an extra cost added to the mortgage to account for this.

Our mortgage brokers can give you an idea of what your house is worth because we have access to the valuation portals used by the banks.

How Equity Determines The Payout Figure?

Another important reason to understand equity is because it’s used as a starting point to discuss a payout figure to the spouse who is giving up their interest in the house. For example, the person keeping the house might pay some money to the other person. The amount of this payout is influenced by the amount of equity in the house.

You might, for example, decide to split the equity in the house 50/50 (but remember you don’t have to split everything 50/50 and each case is unique). If there’s $200,000 of equity in the house, then the payout figure from the person keeping the house to the other person would be $100,000.

Mortgage Broker Service

  • Keep the house and have the mortgage transferred to your name

  • Borrow funds to pay out former partner for their share of the house

  • Accredited mortgage brokers

  • Save 30% off the price of your consent orders

  • No cost to you

Get Consent Orders

From $1,100
  • Court documents professionally prepared by a family lawyer

  • Lodged with the court for you

  • Get an instant quote online now

  • Save thousands on stamp duty

  • Save thousands compared to other law firms

  • Required by the bank if you wish to refinance the mortgage

What Our Clients Say About Us


Overall Rating



“Angelo provided excellent advice and a very swift service

“They provided a flat fee, which was lower than any other family lawyer”

“I highly recommend MKI Legal”


Patient and supportive, always returned calls and provided much needed guidance and advice throughout a rather trying time in my life”

“MKI are very transparent and reasonable with their costs


“Thank you to Angelo who has assisted me with a matter which was very daunting and felt way out of my depth

“He was very compassionate, caring and...constantly communicated with me”

“Nothing was ever too hard and he always made me feel like I mattered


“Was of great assistance to me, giving prompt and clear advice at all stages of the process.”

“Made what could have been a complex process seem easy and stress-free. Am very appreciative!”


“This whole process has been extremely stress free, the cost was amazing as compared with thousands of dollars quoted by several other law firms.”

“Angelo was easy to talk to and very pleasant to deal with.


“Angelo from MKI Legal was extremely helpful and professional with his assistance in my legal matters.”

“He was very thorough with his work and was prompt will all correspondence.”


Ratings correct as of late 2023

Mortgage Brokering Service

We are a family law firm that also offers mortgage brokerage services. This allows you to get your legal documents and mortgage sorted in one place.

If you're looking to keep your house after separating, our first suggestion is to chat with our mortgage brokers.

If you want to keep the house, you'll normally need to take over the mortgage. The house's title will then be transferred into your sole name. This is known as “refinancing the mortgage”.

If you need to pay-out your former partner, we can also help you borrow the funds needed to do that.

Our expert brokers will figure out how much you can borrow so you know upfront where you stand.

And guess what? Our mortgage broker service won't cost you a thing.

Best of all, if your loan settles, you’ll save 30% off the cost of your consent orders.
mortgage broking

Have A Lawyer Negotiate With Your Ex-Partner

After separation, it's crucial that you do your best to reach an agreement with your former partner on how to divide your assets and debts. If discussions with your former partner have not been successful, our negotiation package may be suitable for your circumstances.

Our negotiation package involves a family lawyer writing to your former partner and negotiating on your behalf with the aim of reaching an agreement to split your finances.

If you and your ex-partner cannot agree on asset distribution, our negotiation package is for you. Starting from $200 per week, we will negotiate with your ex-partner on your behalf.

mortgage broking
The negotiations will cover the division of your assets and debts, including:

Negotiating who keeps the house

How the superannuation is divided

How the mortgage is split

How other assets like businesses and family trusts are divided

Obtaining financial documents from your partner to verify what assets and debts they have

This package is ideal for you if:

You can’t reach an agreement with your former partner

Your partner has already hired a lawyer

Our Team

Our award winning lawyers are here to help

Get More Family Law Assistance With AI



LawAI is a helpful and informative AI chat bot that specialises in family law enquiries.

  • Ask questions about dividing your assets and debts, consent orders, prenups, binding financial agreements, refinancing etc.

  • In-depth knowledge about different types of situations based on all the information on our website.

  • Easy to use and it’s free.

Caution should be taken when using LawAI as it can give incorrect information. Consider checking important information. LawAI is not a substitute for legal advice.

Financial Report

Financial AI Report

Fill in your details and get an AI-Generated Financial Report for FREE

  • Understand How Key Assets Could Be Divided

  • Find Out The Next Key Steps

  • Human Reviewed

  • Customised To Your Circumstances

Dividing Superannuation

It is not strictly necessary to divide superannuation. The only legal way to divide super by agreement is either through consent orders or a binding financial agreement.

Super division happens through a super split, where the super fund from one person transfers money to the other person's super account.

This means that the money stays in super and is not cashed out. Therefore, you cannot access the money until retirement age unless you apply for early access through the hardship provision super funds have.

Couples can negotiate themselves how much super is transferred, if any at all. Sometimes super transfer is required to fairly split the assets. For example, if a 50-50 split is agreed upon, a superannuation transfer might be required to top someone up to 50%.

mortgage broking

Dividing Other Assets & Debts

You need to divide all your assets and debts, not just the main ones (e.g house, superannuation and the mortgage). This means, you can’t continue owning assets and debts jointly with your partner in the long term. A clean financial break is necessary for you both to move on with your lives. Learn more about why you must divide everything. Here are some examples of other assets and debts that should not be missed.

Other Assets


Company, partnership, sole trader. Including all the assets owned by the business.

Motor Vehicles

Cars, trailers, unregistered vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, e-scooters

Bank Accounts

Term deposits, savings accounts

Personal Items

Furniture, electronic devices, jewellery


Shares, cryptocurrency, precious metals (gold, silver), exchange-traded funds, bonds

Family Trusts

Including unit trusts

Self-Managed Super Fund

Overseas Assets

Overseas real estate, bank accounts, pension funds

Miscellaneous Items

Valuable artwork, antiques, rare coins, wine collections, high-end watches, sports memorabilia, domain names, comic book collections, rare toys, vintage musical instruments, expensive jewellery and gemstones

Other Debts

Credit Card

Business Debts

Overdraft facilities, loan guarantees, employee entitlements, trade creditors, bank loans, lease obligations

Miscellaneous Debts

HECS-HELP, tax debts, car loans, bills, rates, solar panel loans, pool debts, travel loans, personal overdrafts

Other Family Law Services


Family Court (Property)

We can represent you in the Family Court to divide your assets and debts.



Getting divorced is the formal process of dissolving a marriage. Certain time limits apply.



While we specialise in property and finance, we can also help you with the legal process regarding your children.



Mediation is often a last resort before going to court. We normally engage ex-judges who act as mediators to help you and your partner get a deal on splitting your finances.


Same Sex

Same sex couples share the same rights as opposite sex couples.



A de facto relationship is defined as a couple who have lived together for 2+ years.

Contact us

(08) 9470 2777


Level 5, 231 Adelaide Terrace