Call Us Now

(08) 9470 2777

No Agreement With Your Partner?
We Can Help You Get A Fair Arrangement for Your Children

We Can Help You By

Get In Touch For A Free Discussion

piggy bag icon

Affordable Fixed-Fee Pricing

law icon
Over 15 Years Experience
in Family Law*
hands icon

Focused on getting the quickest and best resolution for you

We Can Help You Reach A Fair Resolution

Many people find themselves in a situation where they don’t have an agreement with their partner and they haven’t commenced Family Court proceedings either. This page contains useful information about your options and possible next steps in relation to making parenting arrangements for your children.

Family Dispute Resolution

If you can’t reach an agreement with your ex-partner in relation to the parenting arrangements for your children, your next step will most likely be attempting a type of mediation called Family Dispute Resolution (“FDR”).

Every parent must attempt FDR before they can apply for parenting orders in the Family Court of Western Australia, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If there are exceptional circumstances in your case, such as family violence, child abuse or urgency, then you can apply to the Family Court of Western Australia to be exempt from mediation and apply for parenting orders.

To attempt FDR, you need to contact a Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner (“FDRP”). There are many different organisations and individuals that offer FDR services. It is always a good idea to phone around as fees and waiting lists vary. On average, the waiting list for FDR is about 3 months. To find an FDRP, a good place to start is the FDR Register:

Once you find an FDRP you are happy with, you need to book your intake interview with them and also provide them with your partner’s address and telephone number.

If you do not know your partner’s address or telephone number, then you cannot proceed with FDR and you may have to go directly to the Family Court. Legal advice is recommended if you find yourself in this position.

If FDR goes ahead and you and your partner reach an agreement, then you can take steps to make that agreement legally binding.

If you and your partner don’t reach an agreement in FDR, or if your partner fails or refuses to participate in FDR, then the FDRP will issue you with what’s called a Section 60I Certificate. A Section 60I Certificate confirms that you have attempted FDR and is valid for 12 months from the date of the last attempted FDR. You cannot apply for parenting orders in the Family Court of Western Australia without a current Section 60I Certificate (unless you are seeking to be exempt from mediation because of exceptional circumstances).

Court Proceeding As A Last Resort

In parenting cases, the first court event is usually the Child Related Hearing. At this hearing, the court will consider procedural matters such as whether the other party has been served with your application, whether the other party has filed their responding documents, and what orders need to be made to progress the matter.

The second court event is usually the Case Assessment Conference. This is where you, your partner, and your lawyers (if any) meet with a Family Consultant at the Family Court. A Family Consultant is a social worker employed by the Family Court who provides guidance and recommendations to the court in relation to parenting issues. At a Case Assessment Conference, the Family Consultant meets with each party separately first, and then convenes a joint meeting with both parties if appropriate.

The Family Consultant asks both parties about various risk factors such as family violence, child abuse, neglect, mental health issues, and drug and alcohol abuse. The Family Consultant also asks both parties about the issues in dispute and the issues they agree on, if any.

The court normally allocates about 2 hours for a Case Assessment Conference. A couple of weeks after the conference, the Family Consultant prepares and releases to the parties a Conference Memorandum. This is a report which sets out the matters reported and discussed by both parties, and the Family Consultant’s recommendations. Examples of recommendations include: that one parent’s time with the children be supervised by a professional supervision agency; that one or both parents undergo drug testing; or that the court appoint an Independent Children’s Lawyer to represent the interests of the children.

Independent Children's Lawyers and Single Expert Witnesses

An Independent Children’s Lawyer, or ICL, is a lawyer who is funded by Legal Aid and whose role is to represent the best interests of your children.

The Family Court of Western Australia does not appoint an ICL in every parenting case. It is only appropriate to do so when serious allegations have been made about things such as family violence, child abuse, neglect, mental illness or drug and alcohol abuse.

An ICL attends every court hearing and court event and plays a vital role in assisting the court and gathering evidence, such as by subpoenaing documents. A subpoena is a request for the provision of written or oral evidence, and is directed to organisations such as the WA Police, the Department of Child Protection, schools and medical centres.

An ICL can also apply for the appointment of a Single Expert Witness. In a parenting case, a Single Expert Witness is usually a clinical psychologist or social worker, depending on the nature of the issues and allegations raised in the case. A Single Expert Witness assesses all the evidence – contained in court documents and subpoenaed documents – and interviews the parents, children, and any other relevant parties, and prepares a detailed expert report which sets out their findings and the basis for those findings.

Interim and Final Orders

When you apply to the Family Court of WA, you can apply for interim orders and final orders. Interim orders are orders that the court makes pending its final decision in your case. Examples of interim orders include: who the children are to live with pending a final decision; the children’s contact arrangements with the other parent pending a final decision; what school the children go to; care arrangements for the children during Christmas and school holidays; and orders for the obtaining and safekeeping of the children’s passports.

Examples of final orders include: who has parental responsibility in relation to the children (parental responsibility means who makes decisions in relation to major long-term issues affecting your children, such as their education and schooling, their health and medical issues, and their religion and culture); who the children live with; how much time the children spend with the parent with whom they are not living; the requirements and procedures for a parent who wants to travel interstate or overseas with the children; and where the children are to live if one parent seeks to relocate with them interstate or overseas.

How Your Case Could Settle

Even if you end up in the Family Court, this does not mean that your matter cannot or will not settle. The good news is that the vast majority of cases in the Family Court settle before they ever get to a final hearing or trial.

You and your ex-partner can reach an agreement at any time during the child-related proceedings. For example, you and your partner might come to an agreement after an interim hearing, or after the release of the Single Expert Witness’s report.

You and your partner can formalize your agreement by filing a Minute of Consent Orders in the Family Court.

What To Do NEXT


Call Us For Free Initial Discussion

Call us to have an initial free discussion.


Meet With A

Have a meeting with a family lawyer to discuss your rights and make a plan forward.


We Negotiate For

We communicate with your former partner, or their lawyer, for you to try to resolve the legal issues. We do everything reasonably possible to keep it out of court.


If An Agreement Is Reached

If you can reach an agreement with your former partner, we help you make the agreement legally binding to ensure no-one changes their mind later, and the dispute is resolved for good.


We Can Start Court Proceedings

If an agreement is not reached, and there is no other option, we can take your claim to the Family Court of WA. There is still a good chance of your case settling even if court proceedings have started.

9 BenefitS of Getting Legal Advice Early


A lawyer can advise you about your entitlements and rights and also the options and strategies for resolving your dispute that are best suited to you and your situation.


A lawyer can help ensure that your offer of settlement is not unreasonable or unrealistic, and also that you don’t accept any offer from your ex-partner that is unreasonable or unrealistic. You and your partner may be more inclined to resolve the dispute once you both know legally where you stand and what can and cannot be done. Having lawyers involved in the process can assist in reaching a resolution quicker, as opposed to people being misinformed about what constitutes a likely or realistic outcome.


A lawyer can help you and your ex-partner reach an agreement by giving you detailed and informed advice.


An experienced family lawyer can also negotiate effectively with your ex-partner or your ex-partner’s lawyer.


A letter from a lawyer, containing the lawyer’s letterhead, usually carries more authority and weight, and is less likely to be ignored by your ex-partner, than a letter that comes from you directly.


An experienced family lawyer can assist in stopping your matter from going to the Family Court by identifying the issues in dispute and areas of agreement early, and encouraging you and your ex-partner to work constructively towards a sensible and cost-effective resolution.


If you and your ex-partner do reach an agreement, a lawyer can help you turn that agreement into a legally binding document.


An experienced family lawyer knows the factors and information that the Family Court looks at in order to make a decision in relation to your children.


A good family lawyer is child-focused and committed not just to ensuring the best possible outcome for you, but more importantly, the best possible outcome for your children. “Child-focused” means focusing on what is in the best interests of the children, rather than on the best interests of other people such as the parents or grandparents.

You Are In Experienced Hands

Jeff Hewitt is head of MKI Legal’s family law team. Jeff is a senior family lawyer with over 15 years’ experience.

Jeff practises exclusively in family law, and has extensive experience in property and financial matters, parenting and childern’s matters, de factor property matters, family law matters affecting same sex couples, superannuation splitting, spousal maintenance, divorce, child support, child support agreements, binding financial agreements, and consent orders.

Jeff is an experienced nefotiator who takes great pride in resolving disputes and keeping people out of court as much as possible.

In his spare time, Jeff enjoys spending time with his family, playing guitar, reading, meditation, and supporting his beloved footy team.

Jeff is a member of the Family Law Practitioners’ Association of Western Australia, the Law Society of Western Australia, and the Law Council of Australia (Family Law Section).

What Our Clients Say About Us


I've followed everything you've said and it's worked so far, so thank you"

Family law client of MKI Legal


Thank you again for being amazing. You go above and beyond for people and that is a rare quality to find in someone these days."

Family law client of MKI Legal


THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the hard work and being the only lawyer in the room with a clue. It still hasn't hit home that it is so close to being over and we are nearly there... Thank you again, Thursday was life changing.

Family law client of MKI Legal


Suite 1, Level 4, 200 Adelaide Terrace EAST PERTH WA 6004

(08) 9470 2777