Call Us Now

(08) 9470 2777

No Agreement With Your Partner?
We Can Help You Get A fair Division of Assets

We Can Help You By

Get In Touch For A Free Discussion

piggy bag icon

Affordable Fixed-Fee Pricing

law icon
Over 15 Years Experience
in Family Law*
hands icon

Focused on getting the quickest and best resolution for you

We Can Help You Reach A Fair Resolution

Many people find themselves in a situation where they don’t have an agreement with their partner and they haven’t commenced Family Court proceedings either. This page contains useful information about your options and possible next steps in relation to dividing the assets of your relationship.

In most cases, the Family Court of WA requires you to make a genuine attempt to resolve your property and financial dispute before you apply to the Family Court. There are exceptions to this, such as if there is urgency or allegations of fraud or family violence.

The main ways of trying to resolve a property and financial dispute before going to court are mediation and negotiation. Less common dispute resolution options are arbitration and counselling.

Property mediation involves you and your ex-partner sitting with a mediator and having discussions that will hopefully lead to an agreement.

Negotiation usually involves sending a negotiation letter to the other party. You can either prepare this negotiation letter yourself, or instruct a lawyer to prepare it on your behalf.

A negotiation letter needs to set out the issues in dispute, what the assets and liabilities of the relationship are (to the best of your knowledge), and it also usually contains your proposals for settling the matter. It might include other things too, such as a request for disclosure documents, or proposals about obtaining valuations of certain assets such as the family home.

Going To Court As A Last Resort

If you have made a genuine attempt to resolve your property and financial dispute with your ex-partner and there is still no agreement, then, as a last resort, you can apply for property and financial orders in the Family Court of Western Australia.

This involves filing specific documents in the Family Court, serving them on your ex-partner (i.e. arranging for someone, usually a process server, to personally hand them over to your ex-partner), and attending the first court hearing.

The first court hearing is usually what is called a Directions Hearing. At this hearing, the Court considers procedural matters such as whether the other party has been served with your application, whether the other party has filed their responding documents, and what orders need to be made to progress the matter. For example, the Court will consider whether an interim hearing needs to be programmed, so that the parties can present their competing arguments about what interim orders need to be made.

When you apply to the Family Court of WA, you can apply for interim orders and final orders. Interim orders are orders that the court makes pending its final decision in your case. Examples of interim orders include: orders about who needs to pay the mortgage pending the sale of the home, or the final hearing; orders for a person to retrieve their personal belongings and furniture from the family home; and who gets to live in the family home pending the final hearing.

Examples of final orders include: orders about how the assets and liabilities of your relationship are to be divided, such as an order that there be a 50/50 split of the net assets of the relationship, or an order that one person retains the family home and gives a cash payout to the other person; orders for a person to roll over some of their superannuation to the other person; orders for the sale, auction or transfer of the family home; and orders as to who is responsible for debts of the relationship, such as mortgages, home loans, personal loans, business loans, and credit cards.

How Your Case Could Settle

Even if you end up in the Family Court, this does not mean that your matter cannot or will not settle. The good news is that the vast majority of cases in the Family Court settle before they ever get to a final hearing or trial. The Family Court also actively encourages the parties to reach a resolution before they reach the trial stage.

In a property case, one very important court event is the Conciliation Conference. This is the Family Court of WA’s one and only attempt to mediate the property dispute between you and your ex-partner. Conciliation Conferences are often successful in helping the parties reach a final agreement.

A Conciliation Conference is essentially a mediation-style conference with a Family Court Registrar or Magistrate, who does their best to encourage the parties to reach an agreement and avoid further court proceedings. It involves sitting in a conference room with your ex-partner and your lawyer (if you have one). The court normally allocates about 2 hours for a Conciliation Conference. If the parties reach an agreement, then the lawyers can draw up your agreement in a document called a Minute of Consent Orders.

What To Do NEXT


Call Us For Free Initial Discussion

Call us to have an initial free discussion.


Meet With A Lawyer

Have a meeting with a family lawyer to discuss your rights and make a plan forward.


We Negotiate For You

We communicate with your former partner, or their lawyer, for you to try to resolve the legal issues. We do everything reasonably possible to keep it out of court.


If An Agreement Is Reached

If you can reach an agreement with your former partner, we help you make the agreement legally binding to ensure no-one changes their mind later, and the dispute is resolved for good.


We Can Start Court Proceedings

If an agreement is not reached, and there is no other option, we can take your claim to the Family Court of WA. There is still a good chance of your case settling even if court proceedings have started.

9 BenefitS of Getting Legal Advice Early


A lawyer can advise you about your entitlements and rights and also the options and strategies for resolving your dispute that are best suited to you and your situation.


A lawyer can help ensure that your offer of settlement is not unreasonable or unrealistic, and also that you don’t accept any offer from your ex-partner that is unreasonable or unrealistic. You and your partner may be more inclined to resolve the dispute once you both know legally where you stand and what can and cannot be done. Having lawyers involved in the process can assist in reaching a resolution quicker, as opposed to people being misinformed about what constitutes a likely or realistic outcome.


A lawyer can help you and your ex-partner reach an agreement by giving you detailed and informed advice.


An experienced family lawyer can also negotiate effectively with your ex-partner or your ex-partner’s lawyer.


A letter from a lawyer, containing the lawyer’s letterhead, usually carries more authority and weight, and is less likely to be ignored by your ex-partner, than a letter that comes from you directly.


An experienced family lawyer can assist in stopping your matter from going to the Family Court by identifying the issues in dispute and areas of agreement early, and encouraging you and your ex-partner to work constructively towards a sensible and cost-effective resolution.


If you and your ex-partner do reach an agreement, a lawyer can help you turn that agreement into a legally binding document.


An experienced family lawyer knows the factors and information that the Family Court looks at in order to make a decision in relation to your children.


A good family lawyer is child-focused and committed not just to ensuring the best possible outcome for you, but more importantly, the best possible outcome for your children. “Child-focused” means focusing on what is in the best interests of the children, rather than on the best interests of other people such as the parents or grandparents.

You Are In Experienced Hands

Jeff Hewitt is head of MKI Legal’s family law team. Jeff is a senior family lawyer with over 15 years’ experience.

Jeff practises exclusively in family law, and has extensive experience in property and financial matters, parenting and childern’s matters, de factor property matters, family law matters affecting same sex couples, superannuation splitting, spousal maintenance, divorce, child support, child support agreements, binding financial agreements, and consent orders.

Jeff is an experienced nefotiator who takes great pride in resolving disputes and keeping people out of court as much as possible.

In his spare time, Jeff enjoys spending time with his family, playing guitar, reading, meditation, and supporting his beloved footy team.

Jeff is a member of the Family Law Practitioners’ Association of Western Australia, the Law Society of Western Australia, and the Law Council of Australia (Family Law Section).

What Our Clients Say About Us


I've followed everything you've said and it's worked so far, so thank you"

Family law client of MKI Legal


Thank you again for being amazing. You go above and beyond for people and that is a rare quality to find in someone these days."

Family law client of MKI Legal


THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the hard work and being the only lawyer in the room with a clue. It still hasn't hit home that it is so close to being over and we are nearly there... Thank you again, Thursday was life changing.

Family law client of MKI Legal


Suite 1, Level 4, 200 Adelaide Terrace EAST PERTH WA 6004

(08) 9470 2777